Do my roof tiles become porous?
Concrete roof tiles like all concrete products become stronger and less porous over time, provided they were manufactured to the appropriate Australian Standard. ( from the Monier website)
What causes my roof to leak?
Leaks are most often confined to small areas and usually occur as a result of one or more of the following problems:
- Blocked gutters (including valley gutters) and downpipes. These should be cleaned out.
- Cracked or broken cement mortar bedding to the ridge or hip capping. Capping should be re-bedded or re-pointed.
- Cracked or broken roof tiles. Individual roof tiles should be replaced.
- Roof tiles displaced. Displaced tiles should be put back in their proper position.
- Blocked drainage channels under the ‘sidelaps’ of individual tiles. Any build up of dirt or debris should be removed.
- Flashings blocked, damaged or displaced. These problems should be corrected.
If your roof has a leak, it is always best to employ an expert tradesperson to undertake the work for you, as accessing and walking on roofs can be dangerous.
It’s important to note that respraying your roof is aesthetic only and will not repair your roof.
(taken from the Monier Website)
What is Sarking/ Sisalation?
Sarking is a type of foil lining for your roof that is highly recommended for all roofing types including terracotta and concrete roof tiles. Sarking provides insulation and can reflect up to 95% of radiant heat away from the roof space on a summer’s day. Conversely, combined with the thermal properties of Monier’s concrete and terracotta roof tiles, sarking will also help to retain warmth during colder months, improving the overall energy efficiency of your home all year round.
Sarking also assists in sealing dust out of your home environment, and improving fire safety.
- Reflects up to 95% of radiant heat entering your roof space
- Provides added thermal insulation all year round
- Stops condensation – minimising the chance of staining and mould growth on your ceilings
- Effective dust barrier – reducing airborne dust entering your home
- Fire safety – prevents burning embers entering the roof space
- Provides additional weather protection during severe storms
- (taken from the Monier website)
Follow these links for some information from the tile companies: